Friday, January 13, 2012

The Air is full of Spicessssssss (use British accent)

We've been organizing the spice cabinet while quoting favorite lines from Jane Austen. This is one of our favorites! Perhaps sorting through spices was the catalyst for the following inspiration.

I am completely addicted to Starbucks Chai as a few of you may know. We made this recipe at home and it is incredible! I think you could play around with the spice ratio depending on your particular idea for the perfect chai blend, but if you're aiming for something similar to Starbucks, try this! I almost cried when I tasted my first sip... pathetic, I know. I was overwhelmed with joy, happiness and spices!

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon honey
1 cup brown sugar

3 black tea bags
7 Constant Comment tea bags (the orange flavor is a hit)
4 cups boiling water

Steep tea bags in water for 10-20 minutes, along with all spices (we mixed all spices ahead of time). Meanwhile stir together vanilla, honey and sugar. Once tea has finished steeping, add vanilla mixture and stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Store as a concentrate in fridge. When you are ready for a cup of deliciousnesssssssssss mix with equal parts milk. I like mine a little milkier, so I added a little bit more milk.

No comments: